The majority of blockages in your household are directly related to what you put down your drain. Here are some things to remember to help keep your sinks and drains flowing freely.
- Never flush wipes or sanitary items down the toilet Only ever flush “the 3 P’s” down your toilet – toilet Paper, Pee and Poo!
- Put food scraps in the bin before you put plates in the sink or dishwasher. Food scraps can easily find their way down the plughole, leading to blockages. A sink strainer is also a great idea for not much expense.
- Dispose of grease, oil and coffee grounds correctly as these are the worst offenders for a blocked kitchen sink. Grease and oils should go in the bin, however coffee grounds can go into your garden or compost.
- Regularly clear hair and soap scum from bathroom plugholes with the metal hook of a coathanger. Also avoid putting excess hair from beard clippings down the sink.
- Minor blockages and sluggish drains can sometimes be cleared with a simple and natural solution of one part baking soda and one part vinegar. Leave to bubble away in your drain for a while (even overnight) then flush through with hot water. And baking soda will also help if the drain is a bit smelly.
- Have a plunger on hand just in case. You can clear most minor blockages with a plunger. Fill a sink or bathtub halfway with water first and be sure to take care with double sinks by keeping one plughole tightly closed while you plunge the other, and then repeat on the other side. Beware! Wear old clothes – you will get wet!
- Turn your washing machine and dishwasher taps off when you’re away as flexible hoses are notorious for bursting when you least expect it.
- And if all else fails, Aquafix Plumbing is happy to come out to fix your plumbing ANY TIME. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.